European regulations regarding CdIn2S4
| || |
Dangerous for the Environment
R20/21/22 Harmful by inhalation, in contact with skin and if swallowed.
R50/53 Very toxic to aquatic organisms, may cause long-term adverse effects in the aquatic environment.
S2 Keep out of the reach of children.
S60 This material and its container must be disposed of as hazardous waste.
S61 Avoid release to the environment. Refer to special instructions/Safety data sheets.
|H332||Harmful if inhaled.|
|H312||Harmful in contact with skin.|
|H302||Harmful if swallowed.|
|H410||Very toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects.|
|P261||Avoid breathing dust/fume/gas/mist/vapours/spray.|
|P264||Wash ... thoroughly after handling.|
|P270||Do no eat, drink or smoke when using this product.|
|P271||Use only outdoors or in a well-ventilated area.|
|P273||Avoid release to the environment.|
|P280||Wear protective gloves/protective clothing/eye protection/face protection.|
|P301+P312||IF SWALLOWED: Call a POISON CENTER or doctor/physician if you feel unwell.|
|P302+P352||IF ON SKIN: Wash with plenty of soap and water.|
|P304+P340||IF INHALED: Remove victim to fresh air and keep at rest in a position comfortable for breathing.|
|P312||Call a POISON CENTER or doctor/physician if you feel unwell.|
|P322||Specific measures (see ... on this label).|
|P363||Wash contaminated clothing before reuse.|
|P501||Dispose of contents/container to ...|
|Classification||Acute Tox. 4 *|
Acute Tox. 4 *
Acute Tox. 4 *
Aquatic Acute 1
Aquatic Chronic 1
|REACH: restrictions on the manufacture, placing on the market and use (Annex XVII/23)||EC/552/2009
| Entry||23. Cadmium, CAS-Nr. 7440-43-9, EG-Nr. 231-152-8 and its compounds|
| Text||Annex XVII: Restrictions on the manufacture, placing on the market and use of certain dangerous substances, mixtures and articles|
For the purpose of this entry, the codes and chapters indicated in square brackets are the codes and chapters of the tariff and statistical nomenclature of Common Customs Tariff as established by Council Regulation (EEC) No 2658/87
1. Shall not be used to give colour to articles manufactured from the following substances and mixtures
(a) - polyvinyl chloride (PVC) [3904 10] [3904 21] [3904 22]
- polyurethane (PUR) [3909 50]
- low-density polyethylene (ld PE), with the exception of low-density polyethylene used for the production of coloured masterbatch [3901 10]
- cellulose acetate (CA) [3912 11] [3912 12]
- cellulose acetate butyrate (CAB) [3912 11] [3912 12]
- epoxy resins [3907 30]
- melamine — formaldehyde (MF) resins [3909 20]
- urea — formaldehyde (UF) resins [3909 10]
- unsaturated polyesters (UP) [3907 91]
- polyethylene terephthalate (PET) [3907 60]
- polybutylene terephthalate (PBT)
- transparent/general-purpose polystyrene [3903 11] [3903 19]
- acrylonitrile methylmethacrylate (AMMA)
- cross-linked polyethylene (VPE)
- high-impact polystyrene
- polypropylene (PP) [3902 10]
(b) paints  
However, if the paints have a high zinc content, their residual concentration of cadmium shall be as low as possible and shall in any event be less than 0,1 % by weight.
In any case, whatever their use or intended final purpose, articles or components of articles manufactured from the substances and mixtures listed above coloured with cadmium shall not be placed on the market if their cadmium content (expressed as Cd metal) is greater than 0,01 % by weight of the plastic material.
2. However, paragraph 1 shall not apply to articles to be coloured for safety reasons.
3. Shall not be used to stabilise the following mixtures or articles manufactured from polymers or copolymers of vinyl chloride
- packaging materials (bags, containers, bottles, lids) [3923 29 10],
- office or school supplies [3926 10],
- fittings for furniture, coachwork or the like [3926 30],
- articles of apparel and clothing accessories (including gloves) [3926 20],
In any case, whatever their use or intended final purpose, the placing on the market of the above mixtures, articles or components of articles manufactured from polymers or copolymers of vinyl chloride, stabilised by substances containing cadmium is prohibited, if their cadmium content (expressed as Cd metal) exceeds 0,01 % by weight of the polymer.
4. However, paragraph 3 shall not apply to mixtures and articles using cadmium-based stabilisers for safety reasons.
5. For the purpose of this entry, "cadmium plating" means any deposit or coating of metallic cadmium on a metallic surface.
Shall not be used for cadmium plating metallic articles or components of the articles used in the following sectors/applications
(a) equipment and machinery for
In any case, whatever their use or intended final purpose, the placing on the market of cadmium-plated articles or components of such articles used in the sectors/applications listed in points (a) and (b) above and of articles manufactured in the sectors listed in point (b) above is prohibited.
6. The provisions referred to in paragraph 5 shall also be applicable to cadmium-plated articles or components of such articles when used in the sectors/applications listed in points (a) and (b) below and to articles manufactured in the sectors listed in (b) below
(a) equipment and machinery for the production of
7. However, the restrictions in paragraphs 5 and 6 shall not apply to
- articles and components of the articles used in the aeronautical, aerospace, mining, offshore and nuclear sectors whose applications require high safety standards and in safety devices in road and agricultural vehicles, rolling stock and vessels,
- electrical contacts in any sector of use, where that is necessary to ensure the reliability required of the apparatus on which they are installed.
|Restriction of the use in electrical and electronic equipment||RoHS
8. Cadmium and its compounds in electrical contacts and cadmium plating except for applications banned under Directive 91/338/EEC amending Directive 76/769/EEC relating to restrictions on the marketing and use of certain dangerous substances and preparations.
13. Lead and cadmium in optical and filter glass.
21. Lead and cadmium in printing inks for the application of enamels on borosilicate glass.
30. Cadmium alloys as electrical/mechanical solder joints to electrical conductors located directly on the voice coil in transducers used in high-powered loudspeakers with sound pressure levels of 100 dB (A) and more.
35. Cadmium in photoresistors for optocouplers applied in professional audio equipment until 31 December 2009.
38. Cadmium and cadmium oxide in thick film pastes used on aluminium bonded beryllium oxide.